with Jerry Larson
A n encouragement in the ministry of Evangelism. Jerry has a fiery heart for Christ and a contagious burden for the lost. Thank you Jerry for sharing you life and lessons with us. Here’s my notes on your message.
Everyone is welcome to leave messages and even correct in areas where I mis-interpreted.
SHOW AND TELL!
1. God has uniquely called and uniquely prepared and uniquely positioned you to represent him in your world. Work, school, shop, where you eat, bank, jog, workout, socialize. You are divinely positioned wherever you are to carry the message of Christ. “God give me eyes to see and ears to hear, and a heart to feel what’s going on with the person you have me with right now.” (Maybe make a copy of my own personalized message for people I meet that includes the gospel for them to read if we can’t carry on a conversation?)
2. God wants to use us where we are and with what we have right now! What you have is given to you by God to use for ministry. Use it and he will give you more!
3. God is creating opportunities to love and serve people everywhere. There are no excuses, you can serve where you are. Babysitting, lawn mowing. Practice some James action!
THREE WAYS TO WITNESS:
- Declare God’s truth – our story and power of the Gospel.
- Display God’s love – acts of kindness and service are a powerful means of grace.
- Demonstrate God’s power – by walking in the Spirit.
THE JESUS TOUCH – Jesus’ Ministry – He told stories and he asked questions!
1) Jesus was available to people. 2) Jesus was sensitive to people. 3) Jesus was helpful to people. 4) Jesus was creative in His connection with each unique person.
1) Don’t exclude yourself or limit yourself to your holy huddle.
2) People are most likely to listen about Jesus when they are experiencing CHANGE.
3) Give them information that is applicable to them. If they aren’t interested just let them know, “OK, I wouldn’t do this if i didn’t care about you!”
4) Put effort and energy into involving yourself into your audience.
FOUR WAYS ANYONE CAN COMMUNICATE CHRIST
1) Love people in their language: What need does this person have that I could meet in some way?
2) Show them a difference: Show unbelievers a difference in you that will mean something to them.
3) Pray with them: Pray with them about a problem or need they have.
4) Pray the “three-open” prayer: A-Lord open a door-Col. 4:3-4, B-Lord, open their heart-Acts 16:14, C-Lord open my mouth Eph. 6:19
Story: A youth group wanted to do a Car wash. FREE Carwash, FREE Hotdog, FREE PRAYER.
WHAT IS EVANGELISM? (Becky Pippet, Out of the Saltshaker, Into the World)
• Take the story in by being daily transformed by the fire of Jesus.
Maybe find a little outline that you can repeat to yourself to encourage you to project the Gospel in word. Memory verses too! Romans 5:8 is a good one. Evangelism is not a program as much as it is a fire.
• Get the story straight by rediscovering the story of Jesus in the gospels and telling it.
Somebody asked Charles Wesley one time why are people drawn to you. And he says “Well I just love to be set on fire, and people just love to watch me burn. Make sure your church is on fire.
• Get the story out by lives transformed by Kingdom values in living relationships (not just by religions activity).
*** TWO INCREDIBLE IMPERATIVES
1) The Great Commandment – Matthew 22:36-40.
2) The Great Commission. Matthew 28:18-20
God doesn’t hold me responsible for how people respond to the gospel, but he does hold you responsible with what you do with the gospel you’ve got.
QUALIFICATIONS OF A SPIRITUAL AMBASSADOR
Acts 4:13 “when they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.”
EVANGELISM IS A PROCESS
(-10) | – | – | – | – | – ☆ – | – | – | – | – | …. (10+ and beyond)
Minus ten = Hostile toward God. Zero = Trust Christ. Plus ten (plus) = Maturity in Christ (meat eater)
Principle Two – God is responsible for the results. Matthew 16:15-17, 1 Corinthians 3:5-7.
PRINCIPAL OF GENTLE PERSUASION
Prayer is the most essential ingredient! Love takes the initiative. There is no impact without contact. Witness is more non-vernal than verbal. Pre-Chrstians are not the enemy.
PRAYER IS THE MOST ESSENTIAL INGREDIENT
A) INTERCESSORY that God would: 1) Draw them to himself, 2) Open their hearts
B) INTELLIGENT (know them, feel, hurt, care). 1) By name, 2) by needs, 3) By family, 4) by positive factors
LOVE TAKES THE INITIATIVE
Involves: Risk, rejection, censorship, compromise, misunderstanding of family and friends.
Risk – Yeah there’s gonna be risk!
Rejection – If you’re preaching Jesus, you’re shedding light on the darkness, people don’t like that.
Censorship – When you are welcomed to the parties, pubs, etc. GO! People aren’t always gonna come to your thing, so you step out and come to theirs! If Jesus was invited to a party of sinners, would he have went?
Compromise – ?
Misunderstanding of family and friends – ?
There’s no impact without contact so – get out of your holy huddle!
Where did Jesus do his ministry IN THE MARKET PLACE! He didn’t just hang a sign on the door that says “We’re in here you filthy sinners!”
NO IMPACT WITHOUT CONTACT
Exposure, let them know the real you!
Utilize natural webs of relationships. Note those who respond and relate to you.
Get to know them.
Names, Hobbies, Family, Job, Birthdays, weddings, sickness, remember names.
Do things together that they enjoy.
1. On their turf.
2. At a time convenient for them.
3. Talk in their cultural language.
Salt creates life and preserves. Jesus said you are the salt of the earth – so be what you are. You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink. But you can give him salt.
Light needs to be seen, and salt needs to get out of the shaker! Are you salty? What are you doing in your life where people can taste your salt?
WHAT WAS THE PRIORITY OF SCHIST’S MINISTRY?
Focused on the LOST! Luke 19:10 For the son of man came to seek and to save what was lost. Luke 5:27-32.
THE WOMAN AT THE WELL – John 4:1-42
Crossed Cultural Lines: Jews hated Samaritans
Female and Male Tradition: Men, particularly religious leaders, did not talk to women in public.
Sinner & Saint Barrier: The Samaritan woman had a bad reputation. She already had five failed marriages and was living with a man to whom she was not married.
CHRIST AS OUR MODEL
Get involved with unbelievers. Don’t become one. Jesus was more concerned about his responsibility than his reputation.
Seperation form sin does not mean isolation from sinners. Jesus was a physician amongst patients.
What should motivate me to be involved in someone else’s life? Evaluate your motives!
Don’t be motivated by Pride and Guilt. Philippians 1:15-17.
Pride puts the emphasis on you and off God. Promotes head hunting. Depends on fleeting results.
Guilt leads to depression and personalization and constantly needs reinforcement.
2 Cor 5:9, 2 Cor 5:10, 2 Cor 5:11
SEPARATION VS ISOLATION
2 Corinthians 6:14-18. Does it mean isolation?
You can identify without being identical. The prohibition is against being bound together in mutual participation in known wrong.
James 4:1-4 – The prohibition is against the world’s values and philosophies. Separate the sinners from the sin, AND LOVE THEM just as Jesus the great missionary did!